Wednesday, May 12, 2010

W16 - Discussion Question # 2

Honestly, I had mixed feelings about the Observation of an Outside Group Project. I enjoyed being able to apply what I have learned in this class in a real-life setting as an observer and being able to see firsthand how groups work. The part I didn’t like about it was how we had to find a group outside of our normal realm to observe because I personally don’t know a lot of people who are part of outside groups as most of my friends and colleagues are also working students like myself. The reason why I chose the group that I did was because of the convenience in that it happened to be one of my friends who lead a Bible study small group and also the fact that the meetings took place Monday evenings. To be honest, I am not a religious person and so the fact that I was observing a Bible study was a little bit awkward because the participants in the small group were really enthusiastic. In addition, I felt a little bit guilty because although my friend and I knew that I was there for a project, the other group members were unaware of my intentions and thought that I started attending for my own personal spiritual growth. I would’ve liked it if we were allowed to observe a group that we might have already been a part of. If that were the case, I would have written about my colleagues at work because even though I work with them, since they are my direct reports, their group dynamic is a lot different than when I spend time with them outside of work. All in all, I do think that the Group Observation Project was a good learning experience except for the stringent requirements of actually being able to choose a group.

2 comments:

  1. Hey GCL,

    I agree it would have been easier if we could've picked a group that we belonged to since it would be more comfortable and perhaps less awkward (as you said, with your observation group thinking you were a new member, but actually...no). But I understand why the group had to be out of our "realm," so we could think outside the box and get used to observing and analyzing a group/situation where we don't know anyone and where we might not be entirely comfortable. Anyway regardless I'm sure you did great on the observation essay and good luck with your finals; almost over!!! :D

    -John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GCL,

    I agree that this project threw me off at first. My biggest problem was the same as yours, in that I could not find a group I wanted to observe. I thought and thought and thought about who I could interview, and finally came up with a suitable option. I can understand why you felt awkward at first. Maybe next time you can tell the whole group of your intentions. I also agree with John that this experience was meant for us to think outside of the box. My first thought was to observe a group I was close to, but having this type of challenge forces some creative thinking to occur.

    Good Post!

    Henry

    ReplyDelete